b intheair: FOB Spiecher, Lift Machine for container operations

Monday, August 01, 2005

FOB Spiecher, Lift Machine for container operations

Ok,Ok, I know you think its strange putting a picture of this on my blog. Besides being an aircraft mech, welder, construction trades, EMT, nurse, for the past 5 yrs I worked for the railroad (Canadian Pacific RR). A machine similiar to this one is the one I operate for the railroad. Can you say more power (Home Improvement), these machines are capable lifing close to 100,000 lbs (Max wt for highway is 80,000 ie semi truck. Needless to say when drivers are to dumb to unhook containers from their chasis, they better hang-on. I usually teach them a lesson by picking the trailor and truck up and shaking the shit out of them. It usually only takes one time of getting picked 1-2 ft off the ground and dropping them to let them know they better pull their head out) which is incredible in itself. The only reason you don't want to lift more is because you would end up dipping the machine over. So some of the pictures I've taken are goofy by your standards but HEY! I've also taken pictures of the rails running off into the distance. People stasteside don't realize how much freight is shipped by rail. Majority of heavy equipment for the Armed Services is shipped by rail due to the weight ie tanks. I have to laugh at people who say the hell with the rail and why do we need to subsidize them. In time of war you would find out in a hurry, how the hell would you get equipment to the ships to send? I appreciate all the support that the military has been getting but there are a lot civilians in harms way supporting us and working overseas. The person operating the lift machine is a civilian. Yes, their paid well but live in the same conditions the soldiers do and don't carry weapons to protect themselves either. All these containers are driven in from ports in the Persion Gulf, military and civilians. Servicman and women are eternally grateful for the jobs they do (at least I am), they to should be supported. I wanted to THANK them for the conveniences that they bring. Well, I got rid of my weapon and feel naked. I'll be flying home in the next couple of days for R&R. Kathy, if you want me to bring something back for your son let me know. I can pick it up from the states and mail it to him when I get back here. Does he need anything?

7 Comments:

Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Cool machine. My son Mike works for CSX railroad.
Have a safe trip home. Prayers going out to you for a safe trip. Have fun with your beautiful family.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You were an Aircraft Mechanic too? I was an A & P mechanic for Cessna Aircraft on their business jets (Citation Jets). We have something in common!

4:12 AM  
Blogger aka_Meritt said...

... and Meritt wonders how long he'll be back visiting for since she'll be up 'that way' for a bit as well.

Hmmmm.

PS: That is an awesome machine. I had a hard time grasping just how much weight it truly could pick up. Kind of amazing when you stop and think. ;)

4:51 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Several of my neighbors are fixing to leave for NTC. I JUST learned they ship all their crap by rail. They are actually there today loading up their stuff. Oh and I love pictures. Any pictures. I like to see things from your perspective.

11:20 PM  
Blogger N/A said...

great blog!

10:03 PM  
Blogger N/A said...

I was here yesterday just surfing through, but then your buddy Erik told me to check it out...so I thought I would look and read more. He said you are a huge race fan...anyhow...happy blogging!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

CURT....MISS YOU!!!! Hope yhe family is well. i bet theya re so glad you are home. you are on r&r right?!?!?!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home